Africa Centre through its European Commission Virogenesis Project wish to recruit a Software Developer. This position will be responsible for the development of an open source bioinformatics software application. This project will further develop the popular Rega HIV and Oxford HCV subtyping tools, which are the first ever bioinformatics pipeline for automatic typing of pathogens using phylogenetics. The software application is developed as open source software with multiple programmers in some of the top academic institutions in Europe and United States of America.
The qualifications, experience and skills required:
- MSc or PhD in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Engineer or Phylogenetics
- Strong computer programming and software development skills. Personal attributes required:
- Mathematical aptitude and strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent IT and programming skills in JAVA; PERL; Phyton or C++
- Previous experience in the development of open source software applications.
Africa Centre through its MRC Flagship programme wishes to recruit a Bioinformatics Scientific Manager. This position will be responsible for the overall management of the day-to-day activities of a number of HIV & TB scientific projects of Africa Centre's bioinformatics research group. This individual will be responsible for:
- Writing grant reports
- Supporting new grants applications
- Managing scientific communication with collaborative research groups
- Proving computer and IT support in the group
- Managing the group website and web-based bioinformatics tools
- Drafting manuscripts
- Interacting with other admin teams at Africa Centre and UKZN.
Qualifications and experience required:
- Degree in a scientific discipline in line with the research topic (such as virology, microbiology, bioinformatics or biochemistry)
- Quality management and health and safety certified
- IT Project Management certified; project managing various IT systems and software
- Experience in quality control, quality assurance and management of different projects
- Experience in writing policies, procedures and reports. Personal attributes and skills required:
- Scientific aptitude
- Excellent report-writing skills
- Excellent IT and programming skills
- Project management skills
- Excellent organisational time and management skills
- Good coordination and collaboration with the informatics team and laboratory personnel
- Ability to lead cross-functional and cross-divisional efforts.
News date: 2015-09-15